Teeth grinding and clenching is also known as bruxism. Bruxism is a common dental problem that causes tremendous damage to the teeth throughout the mouth. We believe that the increased occurrence of teeth grinding is due to the increased levels of stress that people find themselves experiencing on an everyday basis.
Dr. Jason Pang is one of the most experienced cosmetic dentists in Sydney and can effectively assist his patients in alleviating this condition. If not corrected, excessive grinding of the teeth can cause the following complications:
- Worn, fractured or chipped teeth
- Sharp pain of the TMJ or jaw areas
- Chronic headaches
- Loss of sleep
- Neck and shoulder pain
How Can I Solve Bruxism?
There are a host of behavioural modifications and products designed to help stop the cause of teeth grinding. These include:
- Reduction of caffeine & alcohol in your diet
- Avoid chewing gum or other hard food items as this places strain on the joint.
- Repositioning your resting position with lips together, but teeth barely apart.
- Using a warm compress over the jaw
- Using a professionally fitted mouth guard or splint. This distributes pressure evenly throughout the mouth and prevents wear. It also eliminates the sound of grinding during your sleep.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and relaxation exercises can be used to treat underlying psychological problems or relieve stress. Yoga, massages, or deep breathing exercises are each effective in alleviating the cause and discomfort of teeth grinding.
How Will Cosmic Dental Smile Help?
If you’ve already suffered from teeth grinding, then you most likely have a significant amount of damage to your teeth. Patients with chronic bruxism or clenching are likely to experience:
- Flat, worn enamel on the chewing surfaces of the teeth
- Eroded, chipped enamel along the necks of the teeth near the gumlines. This exposes internal dentin and makes teeth sensitive and susceptible to dental disease.
- Misaligned, crooked or loose teeth
- Broken, cracked or chipped teeth
After our patients undergo a detailed consultation with Dr. Jason Pang, one of the foremost cosmetic dentists in Sydney, you can expect him to:
- Discuss your dental problems and prescribe a treatment plan tailor-made to your needs and expectations
- Recommend the procedures necessary to prevent further damage caused by teeth grinding
- Offer advice on how to reduce future teeth grinding
If chronic teeth grinding is allowed to continue, serious damage can occur to your teeth. Teeth may wear so severely that they require crown therapy to restore the natural function of the tooth. These and any other necessary therapies can be found at Cosmic Smile Dental, a dental centre that is dedicated to meeting the needs of every patient’s unique treatment requirements.
Why come to Cosmic Smile?
We offer an all-encompassing service that doesn’t stop after just one procedure. Our Sydney office provides various cosmetic dental options designed to improve our patient’s oral health while also helping them feel better about the way they look.
Dr. Pang heads our expert dental team, and we will continue to provide long-term care that checks on your progress following any restorative therapy that we’ve conducted.
Not only do we provide high quality care using the latest state of the art dental equipment, we also have a variety of entertainment options such as iPods, iPads and television to keep our patients comfortable during their visit.
To book a consultation, call us today. Take a stand against the damage caused by your severe teeth grinding. Permanent solutions can restore your smile in just a few visits.